2013-07-14

Are British supporters the best in the world?



This is a piece written without any fact (as with most of the articles on this blog), but based on pure emotion and experience.

British people. They gave us the games of rugby and cricket, I think, and for that I am grateful.

Given the whole blowout over the Stuart Broad didn’t walk incident, I am avoiding that story altogether.

This piece started writing itself in my head on the afternoon of the 25th of June, as I was on my way home to get my Melbourne Rebels jersey, having been gifted two gold tickets to the already sold-out game.

I was on a tram, heading up to Flinders Street Station, when two old fogeys hopped on board, wearing their Lions Supporters jerseys. They sat opposite me, and eyed me out. As a ginger, I’m used to this. I took a phone call, and I saw them discussing me whilst I was on the call. I am also used to this, as not many people are used to seeing gingers that can string more than a few words together, let alone bark out comprehendible instructions over the phone, as I was doing.

As soon as the call ended, the old man asked me if I am from South Africa. Obviously my accent had given me away. After answering in the positive, we struck up a conversation about rugby, and we became fast friends. They said that the 2009 British and Irish Lions tour in South Africa was the greatest thing they had ever experienced. To this day, I do not know if 2013 exceeded that, as I never saw them again.

At the game on that cold, Tuesday night, the British and Irish Lions supporters easily outnumbered the Rebels fans. Every time we started with a Rebels chant, we were drowned out by the Lions supporters – they created a vibe unlike any I have ever experienced before.

A stand-out feature of the tour, though, on a personal level, was the friendliness of the touring supporters, and their general appreciation of the sport as a whole. There were moments in the game where the Rebels turned over after defending on their own try-line, and as soon as the ball was cleared, the touring supporters applauded the Rebels. This was something new to me; someone applauding the opposition team because they had done something right. Their friendliness in the crowd was also incredible, and we chatted with many of the “opposition” around us. Great people, amazing vibe.

(Photo: Gettys Images)


Fast-forward to two days ago. Cue Ashton Agar and his record-breaking 98 runs on debut for Australia against the English in the first Ashes test.

When he was finally out on 98, agonisingly close to that magical 100, the hearts of Australia, and the world, went out to him. He was a hero. And none were more appreciative that that English Trent Bridge crowd. They stood and applauded that young man, as if he was one of their own.

(Photo: Fox Sports)

It is special moments like these that make me love being a sportsman – the applauding of the British and Irish Lions supporters for the Rebels, the Trent Bridge crowd applauding a young man who almost saved a test on debut.

Whilst we all love to hate British supporters, I firmly believe that they (with the exception of their soccer hooligans) are probably the best supporters in the world.

Two small, seemingly insignificant moments changed this person’s view of the British supporters. And I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment